Thursday, December 13, 2007

Santa Lucia in Egypt; taekwondo belt test, Christmas preparations and Eid

This morning as I put on my flip-flops and sunglasses and walked the boys to Small World as usual, enjoying the sunny, busy streets of Maadi, I remembered that today is the day of St. Lucy, our patron saint of blindness, celebrated all over Scandinavia as the day of "Santa Lucia", a special feast with beautiful music and special Lucia treats. Although I have not participated in a proper Lucia celebration since I lived in Sweden (almost 15 years ago), I honor this special day every year in my own way; I think about how I would wake up very early on that dark, cold, snow clad December morning and put on long johns, thick socks, a couple of extra warm turtle necks, and finally my Lucia gown along with a red waist ribbon and my Lucia crown of light. I remember the smell of glogg, lussekatter and gingerbread, the candles, the tinsel, the beautiful songs and the cold, yet warming church. Lucia is a feast in itself, yet it has also always encompassed the anticipation of Christmas, and for me a general feeling of absolute happiness in the embrace of my loving family.

On the occasion of Santa Lucia, Courtney & I are invited to the residence of the Swedish Ambassador tonight, and we had a baby-sitter lined up, however we decided not to go this year due to an overload of activities this week. Not only is Christmas approaching with an incredible speed (entailing preparations as well as parties, concerts and get-togethers every other day), but next week is also Eid (to commemorate Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son for God), so all business has to be dealt with this week. Yesterday August had his Taekwondo belt test, which he passed with ease, we just got new couches delivered today, and Courtney is giving exams at the university. Tonight, instead of the Lucia cocktail party at the Swedish embassy, we will order a pay-per-view movie, put some tea lights out, have gingerbread and homemade glogg, and cuddle up with the boys on our new couches.

No comments:

Lovely Lady of La Leche, most loving mother of the Child Jesus, and my mother, listen to my humble prayer. Your motherly heart knows my every wish, my every need. To you only, His spotless Virgin Mother, has your Divine Son given to understand the sentiments which fill my soul. Yours was the sacred privilege of being the Mother of the Savior. Intercede with him now, my loving Mother, that, in accordance with His will, I may become the mother of other children of our heavenly Father. This I ask, O Lady of La Leche, in the Name of your Divine Son, My Lord and Redeemer. Amen.