Friday, August 24, 2007

The first day of the rest of our lives

That’s it: I’ve quit my job, we’ve packed up our stuff and left our house, friends and the boys’ country of birth, to move to a place we’ve never been to before; a place with a university that offered Courtney, my husband, a great job as an assistant professor. It’s our first day in Cairo, Egypt: everything is big, strange, noisy, foreign, scary, bright, fragrant and hot. I still haven’t quite recovered from the flight last night (or from the past busy weeks and the teary-eyed goodbyes to all our friends at the train station and airport for all that matters) and certainly not from the taxi ride from the airport to our new house; our new huge apartment, at which we arrived at about midnight last night, greeted by our American downstairs neighbors. They seem nice. Our house is nice. We’re very excited to start our new life here.

1 comment:

Nick said...

Hi there,

I'm working for a company in Liège at the moment (although leaving soon) and was looking for other bloggers in Belgium when I stumbled across your blog by chance (well, the Belgian one first). As it turns out, 4-5 years ago I too was living in Cairo! I spent a year and a half there with my parents (I went to high school at CAC), from mid-2001 until early 2003. I also lived in Maadi and reading your posts about life in Cairo (the people, the pyramids, the expat community, Coptic churches, road 9!) brings back a lot of good memories - thank you!

I'm sure you have your own plans for visiting Egypt, but my favorite trips, which I would strongly recommend, were camping in the Sinai peninsula and in the Western desert (visiting the oases, Sinai, Bahariya, etc.) and doing a Nile cruise. Your children would probably love the trips into the desert, although depending on how long you spend camping it can be a little on the primitive side...

If you're interested, you can find my blog (which I have only just started) here: http://wanderlusttck.blogspot.com/

I look forward to reading more about your travels and experiences in Egypt and I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did.

Nick

Lovely Lady of La Leche, most loving mother of the Child Jesus, and my mother, listen to my humble prayer. Your motherly heart knows my every wish, my every need. To you only, His spotless Virgin Mother, has your Divine Son given to understand the sentiments which fill my soul. Yours was the sacred privilege of being the Mother of the Savior. Intercede with him now, my loving Mother, that, in accordance with His will, I may become the mother of other children of our heavenly Father. This I ask, O Lady of La Leche, in the Name of your Divine Son, My Lord and Redeemer. Amen.